How you process a return, refund or exchange depends on whether the customer has an invoice.
To process a return or exchange with an invoice
- On the OnSite POS click Invoice.
- Scan the customer's invoice to display it, enter the invoice ID, or search for the invoice. To display all of the day's invoices, click the click the All icon (circle with three lines). To display invoices from earlier dates, type i- in the Search field and click the All icon.
- If you searched for the invoice, highlight it in the list and click Return.
- Highlight and delete any items that you're not processing a return or exchange for.
- Process the return or exchange:
- To issue a store credit adjust the quantity using negative quantities, leaving the prices as they are. Save the invoice but do not apply any payments. This gives a credit to the customer’s account
- To issue a refund, click the payment method button that you're using to reimburse the customer. Enter a negative value for the dollar amount and click Save. This records that you've given the customer money.
- To do a exchange, scan the new item, scan the item that's being exchanged and set a negative quantity for the item being returned. Click check out and process the payment.
To process a return or exchange without an invoice
- To do a return, by create an invoice, add the item that's being returned and set it to a negative quantity, leaving the prices as they are. Save the invoice but do not apply any payments. This gives a credit to the customer’s account
- To do a exchange, scan in the new item, scan the item that's being exchanged and set a negative quantity for the item being returned. Click Check Out and process the payment.
To process a return and credit card refund
- Click the Invoice icon in the search bar and scan the barcode on the customer’s printed receipt or invoice. OnSite automatically generates the return Invoice.
- If you don't have a barcoded receipt, you can also type the invoice ID by hand (for example I–1056) and click the Return button and OnSite generates a return invoice. You can also click the list in the right corner of the search field to display a list of today’s invoices. Historical Invoices can be inspected by exiting to the Browser mode.
- Remove the products that are not being returned by selecting the line item and pressing Delete. If any products are serialized you must enter the serial numbers in the s/n field below the line item.
- Click Check Out to go to the payment screen.
- Click the card type the customer originally used.
- In the confirmation window, select the original payment to refund. You need the card or card details to process the refund. If the original payment has not settled with your processor, most payment processors require you to click Void instead of Refund in the processing window.
- Click Finish to generate a return receipt.