If a customer has purchased a gift card but wants to return it unused (subject to your gift card or returns policy), or if an activated gift card expires or needs to be written off, use this procedure. Closing out an activated customer gift card may not be legal in your jurisdiction. Check with your accountant or business advisor about gift card liability.
Refunding a gift card involves:
Creating a Gift Card Expiry product.
Refunding or cancelling a gift card balance.
Creating a gift card expiry product
Create a special product to redeem the gift card. You may wish to check to see if this product has already been created before proceeding.
- In OnSite go to File > New Product and create a new product.
- Choose a product code that describes this product, for example Gift Card Expiry. You may also wish to create one for Gift Card Refund.
- Set the class to the same as your gift card product if have classes for gift cards or misc. If you do not have a class for these products you can create one at Tools > Setup > Products > Classes.
- Set the tax status to No Tax.
- Clear the Inventoried checkbox.
- Check the Editable Selling Price checkbox.
- Save the product card.
Refunding or cancelling a gift card balance
To refund a paid, active gift card
- Verify the balance of the gift card at Tools > Gift Cards to ensure it has not been used.
- In the Browser mode of OnSite, locate and open the original invoice.
- Click Return to generate a return invoice.
- Before clicking Save on the return invoice, remove the gift card line item and add the Gift Card Expiry or Gift Card Refund product.
- Remove any other line items that are not being returned by selecting them and pressing Delete.
- Give the Gift Card Expiry or Gift Card Refund product a selling price that corresponds to the gift card’s balance.
- Save the invoice, go to the Payments tab and perform the refund payment.
To cancel or expire a gift card balance
- Verify the balance of the gift card at Tools > Gift Cards.
- In the Browser mode of OnSite create a new invoice.
- Add the Gift Card Expiry product and give it a selling price that corresponds to the gift card's balance.
- Save the invoice and go to the Payments tab.
- Click the Gift Card payment method and enter the serial number of the gift card.
- Save and close the invoice.