Use this procedure if you activate a gift card by mistake, for example if a customer changes their mind after a gift card is activated but prior to payment, or if you created the card when you were testing the gift card activation steps.
After a gift card is activated on an invoice, the gift card line item cannot be deleted from the invoice. This ensures the integrity of your gift card history and balances.
Cancelling a gift card involves:
- Creating a Gift Card Error product
- Balancing the owing invoice
- Removing the gift card balance
Creating a gift card error product
You must first create a special product to balance the invoice and redeem the gift card balance. You may wish to check to see if this Product has already been created before proceeding.
- In OnSite go to File > New Product and create a new product.
- Choose a product code that describes this product, for example Gift Card Error.
- Set the class to the same as your gift card product if you have classes for gift cards or misc. If you do not have a class for these products you can create one at Tools > Setup > Products > Classes.
- Set the tax status to No Tax.
- Clear the Inventoried checkbox.
- Check the Editable Selling Price checkbox.
- Save the product card.
To balance the owing invoice
- In the Browser mode of OnSite find the invoice the gift card was activated on.
- Add the Gift Card Error product.
- Give the Gift Card Error product a negative selling price corresponding to the gift card’s selling price.
- For example, if you activated a $25.00 gift card by mistake, you would make the selling price of Gift Card Error −25.00.
The invoice will now be balanced at $0.00. Your class-based sales reporting totals will be even as your gift card product and the error product are in the same class.
To remove the gift card balance
Although you have balanced the invoice and ensured your sales data is correct, you need to remove the gift card balance so that it doesn't count as an outstanding liability.
- Verify the balance of the gift card by checking the original invoice or looking up the serial number at Tools > Gift Cards.
- In the Browser mode of OnSite create a new invoice.
- Add the Gift Card Error product and make its selling price the same as the gift card balance to be removed. For example, if you activated the gift card at $25.00, the selling price of Gift Card Error should be 25.00.
- Save the invoice and go to the Payments tab.
- Click the Gift Card payment method and enter the serial number of the gift card.
- Save and close the invoice.